Monday, May 26, 2008

Skim Milk

For those of us old enough to remember, do you recall way back when skim milk had a blue'sh hue to it? Enough to set you running from it at once. I do. But where did that tint go?

I started drinking 1% milk a few years back to cut back on fat intake and found I liked it. Then, last year I decided I'd give the blue milk a try again, in order to cut back even more fat. To my surprise, skim milk is no longer blue'sh in color and it tastes every bit as good as 1%, at least to me it does. I really don't notice the difference, at all.

By cutting back to the lowest fat milk you can possible handle, you'll save mega calories throughout the year, even if you are not a straight milk drinker. Consider how much milk you use in your cooking. Scrambled eggs, macaroni and cheese, white sauces, cheese sauces, creamed soups, casseroles, etc. Even when you don't gravitate to a glass of milk, we probably consume a lot more than we think we do of the milky way substance and chosing to buy only skim or 1% will help cut back calories while still benefiting from milk's nutritional value.

So if you haven't already cut back on the fat content in your milk, consider working your way down, one level at a time.

Blessings,

Eileen

No comments: