Monday, March 17, 2008

Those dreadful Plateaus

Plateauing?--Now’s the time to mix things up.

If you regularly exercise, try a different routine for a week or so. Do you usually walk? Go for a bike ride or skip rope instead, or add this to your regular daily walks. The idea is to get your system’s attention by way of changing your regular routine.

If you don’t exercise, now’s the time to try it out. A simple 20 minute power walk each day for a week could kick-start your system into burning that fat all over again. And hopefully you’ll love it so much that you’ll stick with it.

What can you do food wise? If you are already limiting your food intake to the healthiest state you can, don’t despair. Again, mix things up. If you normally don’t eat protein for breakfast, try moving one of your daily portions to the first meal of the day. One tip I found particularly helpful was to eat my daily intake of starchy food in the first two meals of the day. That meant no potatoes with supper, but when I saw the scale start to move in my favor, I was more than happy to make that switch temporarily.

Anything that jars your system into noticing a change in your daily routine will help it to begin functioning optimally again. Think about what you always do the same, and then make some alterations.

I really believe there is truth to the old adage: Sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

Here’s to trying new things,

Eileen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great information! Now I'm going to mix things up. I've lost 42 pounds already, and now the scale seems to be STUCK! Uuggghhh! Very frustrating! But I'll see how things go after I make the change.