Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Fluctuating Weight

Ever notice that sometimes it seems as though your weight fluctuates like the Canadian dollar?

In any given day you can see a difference in your weight ranging up to somewhere close to 2 1/2 lbs. It's for this very reason, I guess, that it is good practice to be consistent with your weigh-in times. Whether you check the scale twice a week or once a week, you should always try to do it at the same time each of those days. Personally, I like the early morning time slot. It always gives me the lowest number--it's my friend, indeed.

I always wondered why on life insurance forms they ask if you've seen a difference of more than five pounds in weight over the past year. Now I know. I guess they figure a difference of five pounds within a year means you're either actively dieting or not, as the case may be. In either case, it's a warning sign to them that your health is being adjusted in one way or another. For those who are adjusting the scale downward, heading to your optimal weight, this is a good thing, but for those who are tipping the scale in the wrong direction, this is not so good.

I know my yearly weight management goal now that I'm at a healthy weight for my age, bone structure, and height. I'll strive to never reach that five pound difference, which works right in there with my weekly two pound allerting number.

So don't let the daily fluctuation of your weight get you down, it's completely normal, but do be concerned about the weekly, monthly, and even yearly alteration to your weight. That's the telling numbers--the ones we should be allerted by.

Off to find some veges for my snack,

Eileen

No comments: