Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Conquering Cravings

This is a tough one. I have many tricks up my sleeve for this problem and as I’m sure you can guess, there are times when each and every one of them fail me.

Everyone is different, so my best advice is to look at finding a solution to this problem in the form of trial and error. We’re never always going to be able to conquer our cravings, so, for the times that I don’t, I choose to think of it as my “human” moments. I deal with the consequences, drink extra water in hopes of flushing the bad stuff out faster, then move on, vowing to do better next time.

Here are a few of the things I try:

• If you know that you have a particular weakness to a certain taboo treat, then the obvious scenario would be to forbid that item from your home during your weight loss phase and then limiting its presence thereafter. If others in your family enjoy the same items, then this method isn’t always possible…I know. (Insert a sigh here.)

• Make it a general rule that you drink a full glass of water and wait a couple minutes in between before succumbing to your craving. Sometimes this eliminates the craving all together. Sometimes it gives me that needed time to remember all the reasons why I shouldn’t ingest the forbidden. …And sometimes this technique doesn’t work at all. But at least I’m one cup closer to reaching my healthy water intake for the day.

• Make a pact with yourself that can’t be broken. Take only a sampling, and be satisfied and thankful for it.

• This following scenario provides the greatest success for me. As a Christian, I’m often reminded of Paul’s wonderful counsel in 1 Corinthians 6:19. As long as I can remember, I’ve always broadened the meaning of this verse to be wise counsel for all of life’s temptations. This is especially helpful when I crave what I know to be solely empty calorie laden food. The fact that my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit always reminds me of my responsibilities and that surviving this one little sacrifice is nothing in comparison to what my Savior endured for me.

Be creative and come up with your own tools to help you overcome cravings. We won’t always succeed, but we are sure to fail if we never try.

May our successes be greater than our failures,

Eileen

No comments: