Friday, March 14, 2008

Lower that Sodium Intake

Sodium (salt) is hidden in many items you wouldn’t naturally think were high in it. Salt acts like a retainer, not something you want a lot of at any time in your life.

Did you know that low-fat cottage cheese is relatively high in sodium? It surprised me. So check labels of all your favorites and if an item is relatively high in sodium but fairly healthy other wise, be sure to lower your intake of it. Enjoy it three or four times a week instead of everyday.

I use to like having 1% cottage cheese with a sliced apple or orange for breakfast every morning. That way I got a healthy protein or dairy into me first thing in the morning, along with a portion or two of fruit. It was so easy to prepare and tasted great, but once I realized the sodium involved, I began switching it up with yogurt. One morning I’d have my fruit in a bowl of low-fat yogurt (much less sodium involved) and the next I’d enjoy my cottage cheese again. Just by alternating, I lowered my sodium, and didn’t have to give up one of my favorite foods.

A helpful tip: If you do find that you’ve ingested a lot of sodium in one day, be sure to drink extra water too. It helps to flush that excess salt from your system.

On with the fight,

Eileen

No comments: