Thursday, March 6, 2008

Joining a Professional Weight Loss Plan versus Going it Alone?

In the past twelve years I've bounced between both methods and here are a few of my observations:

1. Long term, with both methods of losing weight I fell back into old ways and regained all or more of my unwanted weight. (Hence this blog--the plan is that it will help me keep it off this time.) The trick , I believe, is to realize that those of us who are prone to gaining excess weight are much like alcholics. We will forever need to control our cravings and be determined to make good, healthy choices, especially after we've indulged a bit.

2. Going it alone is cheaper, but the support you gain from the professional programs can be mighty helpful in establishing good eating habits, especially when you first start attempting to lose weight.

And lastly,

3. I lost weight faster while hooked to a plan, but with some of those plans (especially ones layed out in magazines)I experienced major mood swings while following them. My poor family! I must remember to apologize again for all those hormonal moments.


Anyway, what I think I gained most from the professional plans is the tools they taught me. ie, true portion sizes (though, that can be learned from studying Canada's Food Guide), tricks to overcome those annoying plateaus, and making those all important food and exercise logs that I discussed in the previous post.

So my suggestion to those considering signing up for a major weight loss plan is that you take advantage of the free consultations out there. Pick some reputable plans that have locations within a reasonable distance from you, soak in the knowledge they provide during those sessions and then, if you find them financially feasible, pick the one that best suits your personality and needs. But don't go into it with the expectation that once you lose the weight the struggle is over. No. No. No. Keeping that weight off is a lifelong discipline and you must use what you learned during your time in the program for the rest of your life for it work successfully.

If you choose to go it alone, do study portion control if you aren't all ready familiar with it, and be prepared to pull those measuring cups and the scale out and use them diligently.

May we all make excellent choices today,

Eileen

No comments: