Thursday, October 2, 2008

Training the mind to control the intake

Okay, this has been a rough week. What has happened to my self-control?

Hmmmmm...she found herself at the Wellesley Apple Butter and Cheese festival and discovered apple fritters, flan cakes topped with loads of whipped cream and saucy strawberries...that's where the self-control diminished.

And once you let your guard down like that, then it's a whole lot of trouble to rebuild the self-control department. It's like a downward rolling snowball after a dumping of beautiful packing snow. It spirals out of control and grows and grows. And I'm getting depressed just thinking about it.

So how do we regain discipline in the eating department? Well, for starters, I guess drinking loads of water to make you feel bloated would help some. So I'll be doing that as I make use of the ladies room OFTEN. Not baking goodies is another excellent idea. My kids won't be pleased, but this won't be the first time, so on with the job of being a Mom, not a friend. Maybe if I make creatures out of fruits and veges they'll pass as a 'good' after school snack, despite their lack of empty calories. Considering my situation, we'll have to go with that. Because I'm too weak yet for the old faithful self-control to protect me.

Okay, so the plan is extra water, and keep away from the 'bad' stuff. Out of sight, out of mind, out of stomach. Let's hope it works.

If you have a way of getting back on track, please do share!

Blessings,

Eileen

2 comments:

Betsy St. Amant said...

I wish I had suggestions! I need some too! I'm trying to lose my post baby weight and its harder than I thought it would be. Its hard finding time to go to the gym because I just wanna spend time after work with my little girl! I have about 15 lbs to go to being happy number-wise, and inches wise, I'm allllmost back in my dress pants and jeans but not quite. I guess I shouldn't be too upset, its only been 12 weeks, but I'm so afraid I'm gonna sit up one day and say "oh its only been 30 weeks, oh its only been 2 years..." etc.

Eileen Astels Watson said...

That post-baby fat is a pain to lose. I well remember. If you're nursing, that seems to help.

But for exercise, what about taking your baby girl for walks after work each day. Turn the stroller so that you're facing each other and then you can have interaction with her as you burn the calories. Around here we also have baby and mommy exercise sessions at the local YMCA. You actually have the baby in with you as you do basic stretches, etc. I think it's mainly yoga or palate style, but that too is great toning workouts.

I'm praying for you, Betsy Ann!