Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stress and Mood--Does that effect you?

With eating, I mean?

With the ACFW writer's conference fast approaching, I'm in the thick of realizing just how much they affect me and my eating habits. I wish I were one of those people who starved themselves while under stress--who couldn't use a fast here and there in their life--but instead I'm one of those who grabs for the sugar and carbs that only add to my stress. The moment I swallow, I dig my mood deeper and deeper into the pit of despair. So why do I eat the stuff in the first place? Why can't I foresee that mood dive a milla-second before I put the stuff in my mouth?

And what's worse, the absolute worst thought crosses my mind once despair is met. For a flash, I actually consider purging. I've never done this in my life. Honest. I haven't. But with such publicity out there, I now have this as an after thought fix. How bad is that!! Thankfully I haven't succumbed to doing it, and I keep praying that I won't. Once, at the thought, I ran to my treadmill and made the wise decision to just walk off the calories I'd just intaken instead of taking the stupid road in the bathroom. Now, I'm an adult, so it terrifies me to think of teenagers who have the same reaction as I do to messing up with what they eat. Lifting prayers especially for them to choose the exercise road to correction instead.

So, I'm starting my day deep in prayer, and asking for guidance, direction, and self-control today. Maybe I'll try and get in the habit of drinking 4 to 8-ounces of water before eating anything. That should give me enough time to reach for the carrot sticks or broccoli instead of the twislers.

Praying for us all to discover peace.


Surrendering to Him,

Eileen

2 comments:

Anne Lang Bundy said...

Eileen, one of the things I do when tempted to keep eating after it's time to quit is brush my teeth. Something about the taste of a clean mouth helps me avoid food.

Also, drinking water VERY warm is better for the the digestive track and helps cleanse it naturally (which also reduces headaches if that's a problem). Unless the weather's so hot that you need to cool down with a cold drink, you CAN get used to drinking water this way.

Kimbra Kasch said...

Oh what a topic you've chosen my dear

my weight fluctuates with the time of year

Summer I tend to do okay
that's the time I tend to weigh

But OH NO! then comes the fall
For me, it's the worst time of all.

I love to bake as the seasons turn there's still so much I need to learn

like how to let out the waist of my pants
and to exercise or even learn to dance

then just around the corner is the holidays
and it's my weight that travels so many different ways

stress makes it worse I'll tell you true
and there is nothing I can do

I'm resigned to be a chubby writer
I've lost the battle to be lighter