Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Slow Cookers

The smell of my pork roast simmering in the crock pot sent me here. It occurred to me that slow cookers are not only time-savers, but they are also economical, in a monetary and calorie sense.

One concept of the slow cooker is to tenderize meats that usually come out tough from the conventional oven method of cooking. Those meat cuts are ones with minimal fat, and can also be the cheapest cuts.

Be sure not to add broths loaded with salt, though, while cooking your cheaper roasts. Instead, rely on a little water, home seasoned with garlic, pepper, grated celery, carrots and onions, and stick to your allotted portion of protein. Bulk up on the vegetables, and drink lots of water. Enjoy!

Oh, I'm loving the smell of my roast. This cooler weather is starting to feel welcome, after all.

Blessings,

Eileen

1 comment:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Beef stew and pot roast come out wonderful in a crockpot. I throw in potatoes and veggies, and end up with a whole meal.

Blessings,
Susan J. Reinhardt :)